Friday, August 3, 2007

Becoming a millionaire...Cool!

Let me blog about something funny for me (don't know whether you guys think it's funny or not) which happened to me last year...

It was on Saturday evening and I was on my way to St. Francis Xavier church in Petaling Jaya by bus. I was alone because Pete went somewhere (I forgot already but I know he was busy). On the bus, I was so somnolent since I didn’t have any friends to talk with. So, since I was alone, I tried to sleep for a while since the journey to Petaling Jaya by bus was so tedious and it took 40 minutes for the bus to reach there.

When I was about to close my eyes, something attracted my eyes. It was an advertisement which was advertised along the road. It suddenly conjured up a topic taught by my lecturer the week before about advertisement. This advertisement had indeed caught my attention. I became quite animated. The advertisement went like this ...

“Be a Millionaire! Win 4.8 Million Rupiah @ RM2000!
Name the most popular or hottest place in Shah Alam.
For more information, call 016-xxxxxxx.”

(Actually, I translated it to English. It was actually in Malay.)

This advertisement seemed exotic to me. It was pretty ambiguous. I could not really understand the sentences in the advertisement.

There were few questions that made me think...

1. Is it for Malaysian or Indonesian?

2. If it was mainly for Malaysians, how was it possible for Malaysians to be millionaires by winning 4.8 million rupiah which is in fact equivalent to RM2000 only?

3. Then, if it was for the Indonesians, why did they want to advertise it in Shah Alam, the capital city of Selangor? Why not in Jakarta or any other states in Indonesia?

4. Why did they want to ask question about Shah Alam to Indonesians?

5. If they wanted to promote Shah Alam to the Indonesians, why did they want to advertise the commercial in a place where there are less population of Indonesians?

p/s Please feel free to answer my questions...

I kept on asking myself what the commercial was all about.

I was grinning when I saw the advertisement and all those weird questions came into my mind. It was really funny especially when I thought of ‘unthinkable’ thoughts. A lady who happened to sit beside me in the bus suddenly laughed when she saw me smiling without any reasons. I laughed as well. She didn’t know that I was in fact plumbing the huge commercial. The gigantic advertisement was actually situated beside a traffic light. So, the bus stopped there for few minutes before the light turned green.

Therefore, I took the chance to copy the sentences in the commercial so that I could go back and had a look at it. After the light turned green, the bus continued the journey and I eventually fell asleep in the bus.

p/s So, you guys can see how bored and lazy I was at home writing this blog...

2 comments:

karen said...

hahhahha..funny funny. i think it's meant for some malaysian who even bother to fall into this kinda weird thing bahh..
if counted in rupiah...it just sounds superb bahh!!!

MILLION ehh...who dont wanna be MILLIONAIRE wor??/

whoever the sponsor is...i thk they're on budget bahh...yet wanna use superb words such as "millionaire"...so the cheapest as in rm2000 only, is indonesia's currency, rupiah bahh...hahahhha

betho said...

that's wat we called WEASEL words..